Whether a person is an SEO novice or an expert, everyone has a preferred set of an SEO-software tool to use while managing one’s own website or those of clients. Still, there are benefits and drawbacks each to using professional SEO-software packages or individual tools, many of which are free.
If one has a limited budget — which is usually the case if one is marketing a website or blog in one’s free time while working a day job — then it may make sense to download and use many different individual tools. However, we speak from experience that the cost in time sometimes makes this method impractical if one works for an SEO company or agency or is marketing many different websites at the same time. Many of these tools are unable to be integrated with each other, meaning that online marketers must go from tool to do every few minutes, log-in under separate accounts, run data processes, and then start over for each site. In addition, one must import or otherwise track volumes of data while going from one SEO tool to another — and then carry over all of the analyses to the back-end of the websites themselves.
As such, it often makes more sense to pay the additional up-front cost for a professional SEO package that combines and incorporates all of the functionalities of the below tools into a single, efficient, across-the-board platform that can be applied easily to numerous websites, companies, and clients. It all comes down to what suits your needs the best.
If a few individual tools are all that you may need, then we have provided a partial list of popular tools below. (Of course, we will add more when we hear about them and think that they are worthwhile.) But if it would be better to look into an SEO-software download, we invite you to peruse our SEO-software reviews to learn more about the various possibilities. Good luck!
SEO-Software Tool Locations
- SEO Toolbar — Competitive, links, and PageRank data directly in your browser’s toolbar
- Rank Checker — Easily and automatically track rankings on all major engines
- SEO for Firefox — Competitive and search data directly embedded in search results
- Keyword-Suggestion Tool — Get keyword suggestions and detailed statistics
- Keyword-List Generator — Use this tool to compare keyword lists against each other
- Keyword-List Cleaner — Clean up your keyword lists
- Robots.txt Tool — Robots.txt generator and robots.txt analyzer
- Meta-Tag Generator — Generate meta tags for your web page
- Server-Header Checker — Verify your server is sending the correct headers
- Link-Suggestion Tool — Suggests keywords to search for to find relevant link sources
- Spider-Test Tool — View your web page like a search engine spider
- Keyword-Density Analyzer — Analyze the keyword density of your page or competing pages
- Page-Comparison Tool — Compare your web page to competing pages to find keywords
- Ad Group Generator — Generate ad groups to upload to AdWords and adCenter
- Typo Generator — Generate mispelled keywords based on common typing errors
- PPC Keyword-Wrapper — Convert keywords to lowercase, perform other actions
- Google organic-keyword research
- Google AdWords (PPC) keyword-research
- Competitor Analysis
- Traffic Estimator (paid and organic)
- Related and low-cost PPC-suggestion tool
- Custom reports tailored to individual websites
Firefox SEO-Software Tool-List
- SearchStatus — Displays Google PageRank, Alexa rank, Compete ranking and SEOmoz Linkscape in your browser
- SEO Link Analysis — See the anchor text and the PageRank of pages linking back as well as whether the link is still there or has a no follow attribute
- Firebug — Go through a site to examine different elements and see whether there are problems are in the HTML or CSS
- HTML Validator — See the errors of a HTML page in the status bar while browsing
SEO-Software Tool List by SEO Chat
Google AdSense affiliates can use this calculator to gain a better understanding of what affects their earnings by experimenting with values.
This preview utility will give you a sense of which ads would be placed on a given page.
Advanced Meta Tag Generator
This tool helps you to add meta tags to your site.
Alexa Rank Comparison Tool
The Alexa Traffic History Graph allows you to create a traffic history graph for any site.
Check Server Headers
Check your server to make sure the proper HTTP Status Codes (200, 301, 302, 304, 307, 404, 410) are being returned in the server headers.
Class C Checker
This Class C Checker tool allows you to find out whether some sites are hosted on the same Class C IP Range.
Code to Text Ratio
This tool will help you discover the percentage of text in a web page (as compared to the combined text and code).
This calculator measures the ROI (return on investment) of the CPM (cost per thousand) impressions advertising model.
Domain Age Check
Use this tool to find the age of a domain.
Domain Typo Generator
Enter a domain name into the box, and this tool will generate a list of suggestions of likely human misspellings and typos for the given domain.
This tool will query Google’s various data centers to check for any changes in PageRank values for a given URL.
This tool will query Google’s three main web servers, showing the different statuses during updates. Watch Google Dance.
Google Keyword Suggestions
The keyword suggestion tool for Google will help you choose relevant and popular terms related to your selected key term.
Google Search for Multiple Datacenter
This tool searches your keyword/phrase in different Google data centers.
Google Suggest Scraper
Shows frequently search for phrases starting with the words and letters in your query.
Google vs Yahoo
This tool will run a search query in Google and Yahoo search engines and then graphically compare the results.
This tool will return the total link count for each URL from major search engines (Google, Yahoo, MSN, Alta Vista, and AlltheWeb).
This tool provides a visual representation of keywords used on a website.
This tool will analyze your chosen URL, and return a table of keyword density values for one-, two-, or three-word key terms.
Keyword Difficulty Check
Use the Keyword Difficulty Check Tool to see how difficult it would be to rank for specific keywords or keyword phrases.
Enter a list of keywords and this tool will remove any duplicate entries and re-order the list alphabetically.
Keyword Position Check for Multiple Datacenter
This tool will help you to find the position of your site in Google for a specific keyword/phrase.
Keyword Typo Generator
Enter a keyword or key term into the box above and this tool will generate a list of suggestions for likely human misspellings and typos.
Enter a valid URL, and this tool will query all the major search engines (Google, Yahoo, MSN, and Teoma) and then return that URL’s total link count for each one.
Link Price Calculator
This tool can help you determine the approximate amount you should be paying per month for a text link.
This tool will analyze a website’s meta tags. Analyzing a competitor’s keyword and description meta values is a good way to find ideas for key terms and more effective copy for your site.
Multiple Datacenter Link Popularity Check
This tool will give a back link count for a URL from multiple Google data centers.
Compares the page titles, meta information, and common phrases occurring on different pages.
This tool will help you to determine HTML web page size.
This tool streamlines the process of checking PageRank for your sites. Enter a list of URLs and it will return the PageRank value for each one.
Enter your Google search here, and our tool will search Google and display the PageRank next to each resulting answer.
Use this tool to generate a simple robots.txt file for your website, which allows you to hide files or directories that you don’t wish to be spidered.
This calculator measures the ROI (return on investment) of a CPC (cost per click) campaign.
Search Engine Comparison
This tool allows you to perform your own comparisons, and displays the results visually, making it easy to see both the rankings and comparative positions of pages in search engine results.
Search Engine Keyword Position
This tool checks the search engine result pages of Google, Yahoo, and MSN to see what position your site holds for a particular keyword phrase.
Site Link Analyzer
This tool will analyze a given web page and return a table of data containing columns of outbound links and their associated anchor text.
This tool simulates a search engine spider by displaying the contents of a web page in exactly the way the spider would see it.
This tool converts dynamic URLs to static URLs. You will need to create an .htaccess file to use this tool.